Is it just me, or is chicken salad like a blank canvas when it comes to lunch entrées? Everyone has their own way of doing it. Grapes, celery, nuts… you name it, someone has tried it. It’s pretty much a free for all. And while I totally love surprises and spontaneity, sometimes that’s just not what you want when ordering lunch.
Last week I ordered a side of chicken salad to put on top of my bed of lettuce (true life: i was too lazy to cook a protein before work for my salad, so I opted to buy that portion of my lunch out and pack the rest). The chicken salad I received was quite possibly some of the best I’ve ever had. Grapes, celery, not runny… it had it ALL going on.
Three days later, I was craving that exact same meal. Yet what I got was not the same chicken salad. My second order was heavy on the mayo and I ended up tossing half of it away, sulking back to my desk in a state of depression. It totally threw my day off because I was truly looking forward to that lunch. It was right then and there that I vowed to never leave it up to fate again. I would create my own chicken salad recipe so I knew exactly what I was getting, every single time. And of course, I’d swap avocado for mayo, because you should never miss a chance to swap avocado for mayo, duh.
This recipe is perfect to pack for lunches during a busy week. Pro tip: toss the avocado pit in your tupperware or squeeze extra lemon over the mixture when refrigerating to help keep from browning.
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 1 medium chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 stalk celery, diced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, scallions, herbs and grapes. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mash avocado and stir until smooth. Whisk together the avocado, lemon juice, dijon, salt and pepper.
- Add the avocado mixture to the chicken and mix gently to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Avocado Chicken Salad”
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it 🙂